Monday, April 2, 2012

Heal Me

I'm done being sick. Like really done. 

I don't get sick very often and when it happens, it usually clears up in a couple of days. But for nearly 5 days I've had the worst sore throat and earache. The. Worst. Ever. And usually I try not to be a baby about it and usually push through because I never feel like it's enough to slow me down. But this is not one of those times. 
Fortunately this was General Conference weekend so I didn't have to attend any meetings and could lounge away in my pajamas while listening to the prophet and church leaders. Check it out here:


Sleep escaped me throughout the night before so I tried taking naps throughout the day after watching conference which was near impossible because my throat was throbbing. Everything I had been taking for it was not working: essential oils, tea, ibuprofen and even my least favorite-gargling salt water. I realized what I hadn't done yet: I needed a Priesthood blessing.

So I set out and ended up at my cousin's house. I barely made it through the door before the waterworks hit. I think it was a combination of lack of sleep, illness and frustration that caused the tears. It was kind of embarrassing but I have to tell you that Marcus and Nue are some of the kindest and most understanding people I think I will ever meet. Most of their kids were on an outing with their grandparents (my aunt and uncle) but little Sarah was there and she is quite the entertainer. Watching and listening to her made me feel a little better. Then Nue offered me a giant chocolate chip cookie. That made me feel a LOT better. Even though I had a sore throat, I've never really been sick enough to lose my appetite. What can I say? Then Marcus called his brother Jared over and together they gave me a blessing. When it was over we sat around for a bit, laughing and talking story. I was filled with so much gratitude for not only Marcus and Jared's worthiness but also for their willingness to give me a blessing. Technically, we're not blood relations but they have definitely become my family. Today was only one of many other instances in which they have made me feel as such and I will always be grateful for the love they've shown me in the short time I've known them. 

There are many things I may not totally understand about the gospel of Jesus Christ. But I have faith and I know that the Priesthood is the authority given to man to act in the name of God. I do not understand how it works; I just know that it does. I know that whatever I may not understand, I can ask my Heavenly Father for He can and He WILL help me. I know that Heavenly Father loves me and He made it possible for me to receive a blessing today. Because I have faith, I know that this trial, however small and insignificant it may seem to others is important to Heavenly Father because it is important to me. 

Plus I got a cookie out of the deal. 
I honestly believe Heavenly Father did that too. 
Nothing is by chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment