I thought I might actually write about what's happening in my life as of this week...
Monday was Prince Kuhio Day here in Hawaii. Apparently it is only one of two holidays recognized in the U.S.A. that is dedicated to royalty. The other one is King Kamehameha Day. Both are state holidays and as such, school is out only in the state of Hawaii. Since I work for a school I didn't work and several of my friends who are students were off for the day. Some friends from my ward and I crashed another ward's BBQ (hey the church is still true wherever you go) and then we headed to Waimea Bay. Easily one of my favorite beaches ever, mostly because of the great memories I have of that place with some great friends who have now left the island.
Tuesday was great because that night, several other friends and I headed to Cheesecake Factory in Waikiki. Most of us have birthdays in March and we had decided to celebrate together. The food is really good but I wonder if there is just too much hype about the place. When I find myself in restaurants I think of how much food and calories we consume, not to mention the money we are willing to spend. A friend of mine once pointed out to me that as Americans, when we want to hang out with friends we'll "go out to eat" whereas most people in the rest of the world might eat dinner and then head out to do something fun. Still, that cheesecake was sure yummy!
Wednesday I attended the temple with some friends. I love going to the temple here in Laie because you always see several people you know. Plus there are students and R.M.s working there in addition to the "older" people which is kind of fun. This is also the day my phone went kaput so don't text me; I won't be able to see it or reply. I kind of like the freedom although who remembers having to answer the phone and NOT know who's calling? YIKES!
Thursday...well, not much went on there. I attended Institute as always and that is definitely a treat. We're studying the Old Testament and I have to say that I am enjoying it this time around. We learn about the different types of Christ, the prophecies of His coming as well as several instances in which we learn more about the symbols and events that go on in the temple. My eyes have surely been open to much more since going through the temple.
Friday was an eventful day! First of all, I stayed home and slept the day away due to this awful sore throat I've had for a couple of days. Eventful right? But that evening was my ward's Relief Society activity and it was such an uplifting and faith-building experience. The topic was compassionate service. We were split into groups and then instructed to go out on a service scavenger hunt. We were to find people and situations in whom we could serve. At first I thought, "um, what if no one let's us in?" or "I don't know about this." Then I reminded myself that if Heavenly Father wants us to serve His children, He will provide a way! So off we went...to TVA! For those of you who don't know, that stands for Temple View Apartments and it's the married student housing on campus. The apartments are tiny so packing 4 girls into an apartment with a couple and their 3 little boys was interesting! Most of us knew the family so that eased our fears about being shut out haha! At first I think they were a little apprehensive but they couldn't stop us! We started in on vacuuming and sweeping and washing the dishes. It didn't take long because those apartments are so very tiny! They were good sports about letting us into their little home. Next as we went looking for the dumpster to empty the trash, we passed by some other TVA residents who let us sing to them. I guess we thought "I Love to See the Temple" was appropriate hahaha! Then we spotted a lady carrying her laundry up to her apartment and so we met up with her and followed her home. Her little boy had JUST dumped a container of dried oatmeal all over the floor! What timing! So we grabbed the vacuum and started washing more dishes. The couple had two little children and they had lived here about a year and a half although the woman said she did not have many friends. We stayed and talked for a bit as we finished up and as we asked if there was anything else we could do for them, she said "Yes! Please sit down and talk!" We had to get back and apologized that we couldn't but she invited us to please come back. I think a couple of us will go back and spend some time with her and her family. They were really neat plus it's important to remember that service does not have a beginning and end time. Charity is something we must develop and then it must be on-going in everything that we do. Service is what we do but charity is who we become.
And all of this led up to General Conference weekend...WOOHOO!! Can I just say how interesting it is to be excited about that? All of a sudden, my Saturday and Sunday are connected and I can feel the Spirit speak to me as I listen to the words of our prophet and church leaders. The best part it, it's not just for the members of the LDS faith; it's for everyone who is willing to listen because we are ALL Heavenly Father's children.
Now isn't that neat?
No comments:
Post a Comment