Friday, January 13, 2012

I made a goal...a year ago!

At this time of year a lot of people have made goals and resolutions for the new year. I too always think of what I could be improving on but I thought I'd try something different. I found my list of goals from last year and I have to say, I'm actually a tad impressed with what I accomplished. Say whaat?!

A couple of my goals had to do with the temple. I made a goal to attend the temple at least once a month and I was able to do that up until April by doing baptisms for the dead. In May, I flew home for my youngest brother's high school graduation. A few weeks before I left Hawaii, I spoke to my bishop and stake president and it was agreed that I was ready to become endowed in the temple. So while I was home in Idaho, I went through for the first time with Mom and Grandma (the way the day went, I kind of had both of them as my escorts) along with my aunt and uncle. This was another one of my goals for the year and I had been working up toward it for a while. Since then, I've gone to the temple every week! That is, except for the weeks the temple has been closed for maintenance. It's been an amazing experience and I'm grateful Heavenly Father led me to that point and allowed me to make those promises with Him.

Take a few minutes and check out this link about Temples

Anyway, among the goals I made last year these two are among my favorite to think about. It's not just because I accomplished them but that I can continue to work on them every day. Plus, I've gained a new perspective about my life. The gospel of Jesus Christ truly makes me happy and I ache for those who do not know about it or haven't been able to accept it for themselves-whether they're alive on the earth today or have passed on.

 In the world today there could be all sorts of reasons why one can't or won't learn about the restored gospel. But based on my personal experience, those reasons cannot compare to the reasons why we should learn and gain a testimony of the truth. It's not anything you have to take anyone's word for; in fact, you shouldn't. Learn for yourself through the Holy Spirit. Read the Book of Mormon. Pray to your Heavenly Father. Don't hesitate to let the Atonement into your life. Even though I believe I have a firm testimony of the truth, I realize I can be "re-converted" every day and that to me just tells me that I need to make it a goal every single day to always come back to my Savior and Heavenly Father. It's a goal I know I can always work on and will always bring me happiness in the end.

2 comments:

  1. That is so neat that you got your Endowment:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome! What lovely goals, and how wonderful that you've achieved them! Kudos to Irene! :)

    ReplyDelete