This week and next, I'm subbing (part-time) in a 6th grade classroom at the nearby elementary school. I've only just begun but it's been fun to get to know the students and to see through the eyes of 11 and 12 year-olds for a change. I regularly tutor 3rd and 4th graders every day. Anyway, I couldn't help smiling to myself when I looked over at one of the girls in class and saw that she had cracked open one of these:
That's what's up Girl!
Only in Laie will you find a local girl reading her Book of Mormon in class (ok so it might happen somewhere else). She was done with her work and she really didn't have it open for very long. It was kind of cool to see though. I really don't know anything about that girl. Even though Laie is a pre-dominantly LDS community, I thought of how she's just a young girl but she's taking it upon herself to do something she thinks is a good thing-based on what she's been taught. She's taking it upon herself (to whatever degree her young mind is at) to start somewhere in finding out who she is and who she can become.
I'm confident that when someone starts to find out for themselves what the gospel of Jesus Christ is all about, they will find it because Heavenly Father loves His children and wants them to know that He loves them. Through the trials and all of the bad things that happen in this world, there is purpose. Heavenly Father is watching over us and refining us for great things we can not comprehend just yet-even from a small 6th grade classroom in Laie.

No comments:
Post a Comment